Muslim Community supports families of San Bernardino
The Muslim community in America has responded to the recent San Bernardino attack that saw 14 people killed and 17 more injured by raising over $55,000 for the families of the victims. This project is being facilitated by the Muslim crowdsourcing initiative ‘LaunchGood‘ and has so far been contributed to by over 576 supporters.
The fundraising has been organised by the Family-Centred Development organisation ‘MiNDS’. The organisation is quoted as having said,
We wish to respond to evil with good, as our faith instructs us, and send a powerful message of compassion through action. Our Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said: “Have mercy to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens (God) will have mercy upon you.” And the Quran teaches to “Repel evil by that which is better” (41:34).
Initially, the target was set at $50,000 which would be sufficient to cover the ‘short-term needs of the families, such as funeral expenses’. Now that the target has been exceeded, the additional funds will go towards assisting ‘the families with long-term expenses or possibly donating to the regional center where the shooting took place’.
The organisers have called on American Muslim Mosques, Imams, leaders, and groups to endorse and promote this initiative.
So far, the following organisations and leaders have endorsed it:
- Local Organizations: The MiNDS Network, UPLIFT, MECASoCal, Islamic Shura Council of Southern California, CAIR-LA, MAS-LA, Institute of Knowledge (IOK)
- Regional Organizations: Tarbiya Institute, CAIR Florida, CAIR Arizona
- National Organizations: CelebrateMercy, Islamic Networks Group, Islamic Society of North America, Mental Health for Muslims, Zaytuna College
- Local Muslim Leaders: Ustadh Hassan Elwan, Shaykha Muslema Purmul, Shaykh Yasir Fazaqa (OCIF), Shaykh Atef Mahgoub (ICOI), Shaykh Mohammed Faqih (IIOC), Imam Mustafa Umar (IIOC), Dr. Ahmed Soboh (CVIC), Shaykh Suhail Mulla, Ustadh Usman Asrar, Imam Osman Umarjee, Hosai Mojaddidi, Lobna Mulla, Imam M. A. Azeez (Tarbiya Institute), Shaykh Nomaan Baig (IOK)
- National Muslim Leaders: Imam Omar Suleiman, Yasmin Mogahed
- Websites: IlmFeed.com, MuslimMatters.org
We are sad at the suffering of our neighbors in San Bernardino. We are with them not only with the words of sympathy and condolences; we should show the acts of kindness and compassion. Victims’ Fund is a noble idea. I urge all American Muslims to contribute to this fund.