Shaykh Abdullah bin Bayyah was born in Mauritania, West Africa. He memorized most of the texts taught in the varying subjects including the Qur’an, Hadith, grammar, logic, rhetoric, semantics, philosophy and poetry. While still quite young, he was appointed to study legal judgements in Tunisia.
When he returned to Mauritania, he became Minister of Education and later, Minister of Justice. He was also one of the Vice Presidents to the first President of Mauritania.
Shaykh Bin Bayyah is also involved in writing. He has written several books and has delivered lectures all over the world. One of the areas of his expertise is in Fiqh al-Aqaliyaat, which is the juristic rulings related to minority Muslims.
Shaykh Bin Bayyah is a member of several legal bodies worldwide, such as the European Council of Legal Opinion and the Supreme Fiqh Council. He resides in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia with his family and teaches Islamic Legal Methodology, Qur’an and Arabic at the King Abdal Aziz University. He is fluent in Arabic and French, and delivers his lectures in Arabic with Shaykh Hamza Yusuf as his translator.
Responsibilities and positions
- Director of the Global Center for Renewal & Guidance, UK
- Member of the European Research & Fatwa Council, Ireland
- Deputy President of the International Association of Muslim Scholars, Beirut
- Member if the Association of Indian Jurists, Delhi
- Member of The Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought, Jordan
- Member of the Counsel of Jurists attached to the Organisation of Islamic Conference, Jeddah
- Member of the Specialist Panel presiding over the Prince Naif ben Abdul Aziz prize for Prophetic Traditions and Islamic Studies
- Member of the Muslim League’s International High Council of Mosques, Mecca
- Member of the International Aid Organisation of Kuwait
- Member of the Lecturing Staff at the King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah in which he is a lecturer
- Member of the High Council in the Centre for Studying the Aims of Sharia, UK
To learn more about Abdallah bin Bayyah visit :http://binbayyah.net/english/
Keep up to date with Abdallah bin Bayyah via Facebook