The Imam should not simply be an employee of the Mosque, but an integral part of the community. Through effective leadership, the Imam can safeguard the needs of the wider Muslim Community. The following is a list of skills an Imam in the Western World should have in order to be an effective community leader.
- Fluent in English
- Fluent in Arabic
- Fluent in South Asian (Gujarati/Urdu)
- Solid knowledge of Islamic Shari’ah, Quran/hadith (to tafsir level)
- Properly rehearsed in Fiqh (with good experience with contemporary issues that relate to present day UK society)
- Ability to give motivational Khutbas
- More then basic understanding in Christianity and Judaisim and other modern religions
- Good or excellent oratory skills with experience of tasks such as khutbas, lectures, public speaking events, conferences etc
- Ability to speak to press if requested
- Ability to Raise Funds
- Experience implementing fiqh in counselling
- Family / youth Issues
- Couples / Marriage issues
- Experience with Non-Muslims (using hikma in approach)
- Experience in dealing with first and second generation Muslims
- Experience in dealing with Immigrant Muslims
- Comply with the job description.
- Work with other Masajids in the local area on generic issues
- Work with other faith communities i.e Christians and Jews and other faiths in the area. Also work with non-faith communities, other public organisations i,e local police liaisons, hospitals, social services, schools etc
- Organising fiqh/dawah circles for males and females of all ages
- Working with different ethnicities
- Giving advise to Madrasah Committee on madrasah structure and syllabus.
- Must dedicate majority of time in community/masjid
- Leading prayers
- Teaching (fiqh, quran, dawah)
- Inter faith / public organisations (schools, police, hospitals etc)
- Youth programs
- Womens/Sisters programs
- Imam should be ambitious to take community to next level by constantly looking at ways the masjid (and islam as a whole) can appeal to all members of the community – both muslims and non-muslims.
- Research orientated to continuously look up fiqh and contemporary issues